Friday, November 21, 2008

Operation Christmas Child

This afternoon Grant, Alex and I went shopping to fill our boxes for Operation Christmas Child. For those of you not familiar, this is a program through Samaritan's Purse which is an organization started by Franklin Graham. What you do is you get a shoe box and fill it with small gifts. Toys, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, candy whatever you like. They give you tags that specify (you pick) boy or girl and the age ranges. So you wrap your box (you don't have to wrap it but we like doing it), fill it up and if you want, you can write a letter and include a picture of your family in it. You then take the box to a specifc drop off location (many churches and Christian bookstores are drop off locations) and the boxes are collected from all over the United States and sent out to numerous impoverished countires throughout the world. It is an awesome way to teach children about showing God's love and compassion to others. Grant loved doing it! And I am so proud of him, he did the sweetest thing! I was explaining where the boxes go and that in many places in the world there are children that don't have many of the things that we are fortunate to have. So after we got the box ready, we started filling it with all the goodies we had bought. He then went over to his toys and got some of his cars and motorcyles and put them in the box. I explained he wouldn't get them back and he said, "I want the boy to have it." My heart swelled! Then he proceeded to put more of his cars in the box. I am so proud of him! He is such a joy and brings so much laughter to our family!

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet Grant!! :) I love him! His prayers at night are absolutely precious. Definitely the highlight of my Monday nights! :) He's going to do so well with his little sister!

    ReplyDelete